We're a social bunch of travel fanatics who help young, curious minds embark on life-defining adventures all over the world. Whether it's a gap year, volunteering abroad or simply an epic holiday, we're here to help you make the most of your big trip.
The impacts of travelling should not be underestimated. A journey isn’t just “time off”. It’s an experience. We believe that travelling the world and seeing different cultures makes for a better you, and thus, a better world.
Experience has taught us that the person who ends a journey is different from the one who started it. So, travelling is much more than just leaving home. It’s meeting the world. New people, new places, new perspectives.
To us, these elements can make for a powerful force for good. They can shift mindsets. And give us a new outlook on the world. That’s why we believe in the power of travel.
"We believe in The power of travel"
Since our early beginnings, our purpose has been to make travelling easy by offering tailor-made expert advice and affordable trips for young people.
We specialise in tailor-making exciting and unique travels, full of thrills and personal growth, for modern-day explorers. By combining our knowledge and experience with your specific needs, we help you go on the trip of your dreams – whether that entails secluded beaches, dense jungles, big cities, dusty villages or white mountaintops.
KILROY's concepts stretch across complex round-the-world itineraries, innovative group trips, and gap year travel, as well as meaningful holidays for curious minds.
- Established in 1991 and today the largest youth and student travel agency in the Nordic region.
- 13 stores in eight markets across the Nordics and Benelux, and most recently here in the UK
- 100 passionate travel consultants with extensive travel expertise in all of our destinations.
- Helping 180.000 travellers annually to make their travel dreams come true (pre-Covid).
- An international work environment with employees from 15 nations.
How does a tailor-made trip work?
It's actually quite simple – the first step is yours to take.
You probably have a bucket list of places you want to visit and things you want to experience. Send it our way!
When we have your bucket list, we'll get to work and tailor a unique travel itinerary for you. We’ll work together with you, tweaking the itinerary until we're sure that we have created the trip of your dreams.
We'll keep in touch with you, both before and during your trip, sending you our best tips and recommendations to make sure that your trip will be nothing less than amazing!
In recent years the travel industry has gotten a little lost, but not in a good way. Too many weekend flights to New York and all-inclusive holidays with no interaction with the local communities.
KILROY is on a journey. We acknowledge our responsibility in making the world a better place through travel. Being responsible is more than just skipping the flights. It's as much about making sure the money stays in the local communities, protecting and respecting the places we visit, preventing over touristed cities, and securing animal welfare.
It's about reflecting more about WHY we travel and HOW our money can benefit instead of harm. We should allow ourselves to get lost in a good way on our travels, both mentally and physically. Getting out on the road, talking to locals and experiencing countries for longer than just the average week holiday, leaving space for flexibility and to get out of our comfort zone.
We've still got a long way to go. But if we keep trying and making an effort, together we can make a difference and change the world for the better.
Why choose us?
- Real people, real advice: We believe in human connection when it comes to planning your next dream trip. Talk to an expert who has been to where you want to go, instead of those endless Google searches.
- A company your mum will trust: We've been around for a long time and that's for a reason. We've got your back in case something happens. We've been trusted and recognised for our service for more than three decades - and we plan to stick around for the next few decades too.
- Get more, pay less: We collaborate with the best airlines, train networks, surf schools, adventure suppliers and NGOs from all over the world to make sure you get the most bang for your buck.
- Join other like-minded travellers: The best travel moments are shared with others. Through our small-group adventures, you'll meet other travellers just like you. Say goodbye to feeling alone or insecure about exploring the world.
- The KILROY Way: We don't do the cookie-cutter kind of package trips. We create all of our trips based on a framework we call "The KILROY Way", focusing on more immersive, adventurous and sustainable ways of travel. Read more about The KILROY Way here!
The legend behind the name
Young James Kilroy worked on the docks of Boston back in the 1940s. His job was to load the great steamships of that day with cases of cargo bound for every corner of the world.
One early November morning, the weather was grey and gloomy, and Kilroy felt more like staying indoors, sheltered and under the covers. “Hey Kilroy,” his foreman yelled, “You're daydreaming again. Can't you ever get anything done?”
Kilroy was used to the foreman and his insults. And the cargo boxes were waiting to be loaded.
There was no way around it: It had to be done, and he might as well get on with it. But as Kilroy bent down to pick up one of the wooden boxes, he was struck by a great idea.
With a piece of chalk, he wrote in big bold letters on each box: “KILROY WAS HERE”. As these cases turned up in foreign ports all around the world, Kilroy's spirit reached across the world as well - a really effective way of getting around!
From that moment on, whenever the foreman shouted at Kilroy that he wasn't getting anything done, Kilroy just smiled. He knew better. In ports all over the world, there were daily reminders that the foreman was wrong. Kilroy knew that there's more than one way of crossing borders, and breaking through all kinds of barriers to be free and independent.
- Group Policies & CSR: Download and read our latest Group CSR and Gender Equality Policy.
- Annual Reports: You can find financial information about KILROY in our annual reports.
- Jobs at KILROY: Are you dreaming about a career at KILROY? See our open positions and how to apply.
- Terms & Conditions: Read our general terms & conditions or the T&Cs for online purchases of flight tickets.